Tuesday, January 26, 2010

BHALO THEKO THAKUMA... FARE THEE WELL GRANDMA

CONTINUED FROM MY LAST POST...........

he refused to leave his village and there was no way that my dad could leave his job and go back to the village. so it was left to barun uncle, i call him kaku, to take care of him. barunkaku did manage to extract the only thing he had left, his house, but took care of him till his last days. after all barun kaku isn't a man of great means, and he needed that house more than the others. my mother always shared a great bonding with my grandmother, the two women recognising kindred souls. one one hand was a pragmatic woman who spoke little and strove hard to never come in anyone's way, one the other hand was a scatter brained, yet, fiery young woman, who would take no slight lightly. somehow, they struck a cord and i have seen my mom share great moments with her mother-in-law. this, in spite of my grandfather's dislike for my mom. so, after my grandpa died, my parents really wanted my grandma to come and live with us. she, however, was far more practical than them, she realised that she wouldn't fare very well far away from her village which is the only place she had known for years. besides, she also realised that she needed care in her advanced age and that would be difficult for my parents to provide, since they were both working individuals. on the other hand, barun kaku's wife was a housewife (a home maker in today's politically correct terms) and she would be able to look after her.

it was in gangarampur she spent the rest of her days and today morning she breathed her last. i haven't really been the best grandson she could hope for, but then she isn't one to complain. she, even when in delirium, recognised me and always had a soft word or two to say. somehow, the tears don't seem to come that easily this time. yet, i know i am going to miss her. its probably for the best that she died, because she was suffering so, but still the heart refuses to let go. i wanted to see her one more time before she left and now i don't have that chance. now, the tears are coming and its a relief. i worry for my dad though, he loved her a lot. i wonder what it would be like to lose my own mother, the woman who is responsible for everything i am. i don't really know who i am crying for, her or me.

No comments:

Post a Comment